Wikipedia Trail: Pandita Ramabai

I found Pandita Ramabai on Dr.Gibbs twitter. There  is an article  about her traveling around India in the 19th century to give lectures on women's emancipation and established one of the country's first women's shelters and schools.  I was intrigued because she is an activist. I look up to any woman who has enough courage to stand up for anything.

She defied many of the odds in her time. She learned the Sanskrit which was reserved for men only. She also was an Indian woman who decided to convert ti Christianity.

People referred to her as a Pandit. I wasn't sure what that meant so I searched it. A pandit is a woman who is the wife of a Brahmin scholar or a teacher of and field of knowledge in Hinduism.  This article continued to talk about a sanskrit. I have heard of a sanskrit before but I did not know the true meaning of it. I searched sanskrit and it is a language of ancient India. It is the predominant language of principle texts of Buddhism and Jainism.

Image result for pandita ramabai
Pandita Ramabai



Pandita Ramabai

Wiki Pandit

Wiki Sanskrit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taylor’s Introduction !

Demon or My Child : Week 3 Story